Twitter client for Maemo in Qt + Python: call for developers and UI designers
Posted on Mon 22 February 2010 in Linux, Maemo (EN), MeeGo, Programmazione, Python, Qt • Tagged with maemo, MeeGo, N900, nokia, Python, Qt, twitter
My name's Andrea Grandi, I'm italian and I'm a Maemo user/lover/contributor since the Nokia 770. I love Python as development language and few months ago I also gave some contributions to the PyMaemo project.
In these days I had the idea to start writing a Twitter client for Maemo with a precise direction in my mind. I'll try to explain all my reasons here. First of all I've to thank the author of Mauku client. I use it since its first version and I'm quite happy with it. Then, why do I want to write another one?
- Maemo (MeeGo) is moving to Qt and for this reason I'm going to use Qt, while Mauku uses Gtk.
- I'm learning Qt and what is better than writing a complete (but not too complex) application to learn better?
- Mauku is not free as lot of people could think. Reading the source codeyou find this "You are NOT allowed to modify or redistribute the source code.", while I want to write a client and release it under GPL2 or GPL3 license.
- Mauku is not updated since some months and we have no news about it.
- I love Python and I like to write free software in this language.
- I want to give to Maemo a stronger contribute.
My request for help
Before lot of people start writing their own client resulting in 4-5 twitter clients for Maemo, why don't we join our strength and work to a common project? I'm not a Python expert nor a Qt one, but I've some experience as project/team leader and since this is not a complex project, I would be glad to lead it. So, I'm looking for Python developers, Qt developers, UI designers and whoever want to contribute to this project. I still have to find a good name and logo for this application.
Who want to help me?