Fennec is a particular version of Mozilla, designed for handled devices and internet tablets. With the latest development version, stability has been improved, but the application is still a bit slow and "memory hungry". Speed an memory improvements are scheduled for the next release (Alpha1 - September 9, 2008).
Latest available version, Fennec M7, has the following improvements:
- Initial Add-on Manager support has landed. Tap "+" button in the sidebar to display the Add-on Manager. Use it to install, view and remove add-ons. Use the application menu button to dismiss the panel. Clicking on an add-on XPI in a webpage will also display the manager. The current UX design is not final.
- The top URL bar has been changed to work as designed: The bar will scroll into view at the top of the web content or will float over content otherwise.
- Support for kinetic scrolling has been added to the web content.
- Support for non-modal Password Manager UI was added.
- Some tabbed browsing fixes.
- Some zooming fixes.
- Some stability fixes.
To install it on your tablet, you've to configure Application Manager with the following parameters:
- Web Address: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/
- Distribution: chinook (Note: The chinook builds work on diablo as well.)
- Components: release
If you're not sure or if you want further instructions about installing Fennec, you can find a step by step guide on Mozilla website.
Note: M7 supports the Maemo chinook & diablo distributions.